Well Managed BI - APOS BI Capability Maturity Model (CMM)
Well managed BI comes from the development, establishment, and improvement of best practices. A best practice is sometimes defined as "a method or technique that has consistently shown results superior to those achieved with other means, and that is used as a benchmark."
But a best practice should not be written in stone. Best practices need to be reviewed constantly. Sooner or later, unquestioned best practices just become "the way we've always done things around here."
If we want to achieve progressive business intelligence, we need to go beyond the best practices to examine the processes by which they are developed, established, and improved. The APOS BI Capability Maturity Model (APOS CMM) provides a simple means of understanding how advanced your organization is in its BI practices.
The APOS CMM has three levels:
- Curative BI — you are largely occupied with reactive activities, firefighting.
- Preventive BI — you actively resolve issues before they become problems.
- Progressive BI — you proactively seek new opportunities to expand the use and ROI of your BI platform for the benefit of individual business units and the enterprise as a whole.
Your organization's capability maturity level is determined by where your resources spend the majority of their time.
Well Managed BI Begins with SAP BusinessObjects Automation
The best practices you establish in your quest for well managed BI will be particular to your enterprise, but here are some simple guidelines you can follow:
- Automate, automate, automate — search out the processes that rob you of your resources and find ways to simplify them through automation;
- Understand and Plan — analyze the information gathered through deep system introspection to optimize your BI infrastructure;
- Anticipate — understand your information consumers' needs and look for new ways to fulfill them; and
- Extend and leverage for more ROI — look for ways that your BI platform can better serve the enterprise and demonstrate even more return on investment.
You will know you have well managed BI when:
- You have minimized the time you spend on curative activities by automating all of the labor-, time-, and resource-intensive jobs you can;
- You minimize the time you spend on preventive activities through monitoring, threshold-based notifications, and automated remedial actions; and
- You find yourself saying "Yes, we can do that," instead of "No, we can't do that" when you get line-of-business requests.
The APOS Well Managed BI integrated solution set has the tools you need to evolve your SAP BusinessObjects best practices.